Click on the logo above to visit the organization website.
Learning Forward Virginia, formerly the Virginia Staff Development Council, was established in 2003 as an affiliate of Learning Forward, formerly the National Staff Development Council. In 2010, by a vote of the membership, the name of this organization was changed to Learning Forward Virginia. Virginia changed its affiliate name to match the name change enacted by the National Staff Development Council (NSDC) in 2009 when NSDC became Learning Forward.
We are dedicated to connecting educators with information, strategies, and best practices that demonstrate high expectations and produce positive results for all students and staff.
All educators in the Commonwealth of Virginia will experience high-quality professional learning as part of their daily work to ensure high levels of student success.
- Effective professional learning is fundamental to student learning.
- All educators have an obligation to improve their practice.
- Students achieve when educators assume collective responsibility for student learning.
- Sustainable learning cultures require skillful leadership.
- Improving student learning and professional practice requires ongoing systemic and organizational change.
- Student learning increases when educators reflect on professional practice and student progress.
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) has divided the Commonwealth into 8 geographic regions. The largest region is comprised of 22 school divisions and the smallest region is comprised of 11 school divisions. Learning Forward Virginia (LFVA) has a Regional Representative for each region to support the work of the association. The 8 Regional Representatives are elected and are members of the LFVA Board of Directors. The President-Elect provides guidance and support to the Regional Representatives.
Become a Learning Forward Virginia Member
The membership of the Learning Forward Virginia is composed of teachers, principals, specialists, staff development personnel, directors, professors, and educational consultants. Membership is open to any person from Virginia who is interested in professional development and the achievement of students.
Benefits of membership:
How to Join
Apply for our no annual fee membership or update your contact information here.